Question:
what is abraham lincoln?
joshogold
2006-01-22 17:51:18 UTC
why was he strong
Six answers:
mike_gilbert72
2006-01-23 00:13:54 UTC
Besides being the President whose face is on the penny and the $5.00 bill he was the 16th president of the U.S. His Presidency was almost all during war to hold the U.S. together. Having started as a war over States rights after several Southern States seceeded from the U.S. the Civil War covered most of his presidentcy as it started just over a month after he entered office and was not officially over until about 6 weeks after his death. He was the first president to be assasinated in the only preidential assasination that was proved to be a consperacy. In 1862 as a political move to keep England from recognising the South as a free and independent nation issued the Emancipation Proclimation to free the slaves in territory that the Union forces freed. England along with most of the rest of the world never did recognise the South as a free and Independent Nation and open any sort of diplomatic relations with them. This hurt the South in their war effort in the long run. Only one other Nation freed their slaves after the U.S. did and that was Brazil also I believe in the 1860's, the rest of the world had done away with that before that time. It is said that Lincoln fulfilled the freedoms for all that our founding fathers had eluded to, but had not delivered to all men. As far as to why was he strong there is no real answer to that, he was as strong as was necessary for the circumstances, which were certainly extrordinary having been the only president to serve his entire term(s) under civil strife between the states, however beyond the scope of his circumstances he would have gone down in history as an average president.
2006-01-23 03:45:01 UTC
A Visionary

"We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood ... It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless."

President Abraham Lincoln
lifeatthetop
2006-01-23 01:54:03 UTC
because he knew in his heart he had to save the USA and keep it whole. All while battling depression, death of his children, the madness of his wife, and a predominately ineffectual war staff..
v_aaragorn
2006-01-23 05:38:09 UTC
What is? I think he was a Human, and he was US president which gave him power.
Long
2006-01-23 01:52:56 UTC
what is? that's a tricky question. i'll say it's a dead human who stopped slavery in a lot of places.
KeaJay
2006-01-23 01:52:43 UTC
He spoke basically wat people wanted to hear, and also, he freed slaves, and so many people, slaves and townspeople were grateful.